Monday 13 September 2010

Day 9 Braemar to Aberlour 77 miles

Didn't get off to the best of starts this morning discovering I'd left one of my pairs of cycling shorts in Dunfermline, so I'm down to one pair now. hmmmm. Said goodbye to the guys and headed off about 10am. It was yet more hills. up and down and I didn't seem to be making much progress. I figured I was just tired from the past two days of 80 miles. Actually my lock had been rubbing my wheel for the past 33miles, which I discovered at lunch time and things got a lot easier after that.

Today's highlights included an old railway carriage on top of a hill, I have no idea how it got there and seeing Balmoral Castle even if it was a tiny blip on the landscape from my perspective.

The rain came in at about midday and didn't subside until about 4pm. Still I made good time and my host tonight Robbie asked if I had wings when I texted him at 2.30 to say I was only 25 miles away. I was tempted to say they were water wings due to my current sodden condition. Literally I had two buckets of water on my feet most of the afternoon. I got into Dufftown at 4.30pm and sampled some of Scotland's finest before doing the last 7 miles up to my final destination. The day culminated with a tasty dinner with Robbie and Nancy and a wee dram.

No comments:

Post a Comment