Thursday 9 September 2010

Day 5 North York Moors to Newcastle 66 miles




Woke up twice this morning once at 4am and then again at 8.30am I decided to get up on the second occasion but it was very hard to get back to sleep following the first. The cold was bitter and there was a layer of water in the inside of the tent. However the view that met me when I woke more than made up for it. The low mist covering the moors made them look stunning.

I set off at 8.30am more to warm up than anything else taking it slowly through the winding roads that rose and fell frequently. Once off the moors I started off up the A19 but switched to quieter roads quickly the lorries getting decidedly close today. It was a good choice and I soon found myself in Hartlepool, where I had lunch on the dock.

I then took the coastal road to Peterlee before rejoining the A19 hoping for a quieter ride further north. I was in luck and I made good time up to Newcastle getting in mid afternoon. I had a lovely dinner with the O'Dohertys and then went out for a few drinks with Gavin.

No comments:

Post a Comment