Tuesday 7 September 2010

Day 1 London to Cambridge 67 miles

I set off for London at about 9am as I planned to do the London Skyride with my friend Laura before setting off at midday. Having cycled to Moor Park met station i discovered it was undergoing engineering works, so was forced to return to Watford Junction to catchy a train. The first one was full but I managed to get on the second and rode into central London from Kensington Olympia with a family I had met at the Junction. I then rendezvoused with Laura at Euston and we set off for the Skyride it wasnt a disappointment with a sea of yellow cruising the embankment to St. Jame's Park. Having done a quick lap of Trafalgar Square we set off back up the embankment and i started the clock under Charing Cross station We were off.

Up through the city, old Street and Hackney, I left Laura at the Le Bridge roundabout and headed off up the A104 through Leyton. It was all slightly up hill but I made a good pace and was soon passing through Epping. From there it was a straight run to Cambridge, via Harlow and Bishop's Stortford. It would be fair to say that i was aching as I passed through Epping and was wondering by this point what I was doing. My groin, left hand and shoulders all screaming at me to stop but i carried on following a quick stretch.

As I rode into Cambridge I couldn't help but notice that these were some of the best roads and cycle paths I had every been on. The City itself is beautiful, its architecture stunning and cobbled streets reminiscent of a gone by era. Sadly it was getting late and I needed to head off for Waterbeach my stopping point for the night before the sun set on me.

Neil was a fantastic host and took me out to dinner at the local pub where we enjoyed gammon egg and chis whilst discussing life and past travels. It was almost midnight before i turned in but it had been a successful day, having covered 22 miles on the Skyride and another 67 up to Waterbeach.

No comments:

Post a Comment